St Brandon's Church
St Brandon's, the parish church serving Brancepeth village and the surrounding area has over 900 years of history. It was recently rebuilt after a devastating fire in 1998.
More than 100 medieval tombstones dating from 1100 - 1300 AD were discovered hidden in the walls of the Saxon church after the fire. The stones, each weighing up to half a ton, carry carvings linked to those buried nearby – including swords, books, chalices and shears. But some signs remain a mystery, such as a five-pointed cross not seen anywhere else in the world.
Now, following a two-year restoration project, 20 have gone on display in the church, and a further 40 will be exhibited at nearby Brancepeth Castle.
Culture Durham Login
Become a Member
Youth Market Gives New Businesses A Platform for SuccessRead more »